Monday, August 29, 2005

It's the small things, really...

Ah the joys of returning to Japan after along time away. All those minor annoyances suddenly glaringly magnified...

Unintentional though ignorant racist comments coming from the uninvited saleman at my door

Line of black trucks a convoy of hate

Grease spot on the train window indicating where a salaryman fell asleep

People closing curtains on the bus, blocking out all the beautiful scenery. Like riding in a fuzzy tube. Is this a metaphor for tatemae, or sakoku?

Most depressing is the first time you go food shopping after a lengthly time away. Freedom of choice expressed as twenty types of meat spaghetti sauce. Today, as I was leaving the super, an old guy was staring. I looked away, then back. Still staring. A third time I looked. Still staring. Not only that, but he'd done a complete 180 degree pan with his eyes, as I'd rounded the corner where he was sitting. Welcome back to the countryside, Ted. I think next time I'll wink


On the turntable: Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, "Drinking in the Blues"

No comments: